Thursday, March 20, 2014

Little library of a Vintage Girl – part 1

Originally posted on September 6th, 2013

Today is for a change a time for special edition of a posting, instead of full outfits I present this time something else very important according to my vintage hobby. I have had idea of this post in my mind for a certain time, and I begin it now with this first part and more will follow some other time again.


As much I like to find vintage for my closets, I like to find information about the history of fashion, designers and manufacturers etc. For this reason I have collected my ”small library”, which I can use for an inspiration and hints for my own outfits.

In this posting I present few of my favorites from my own and my sister’s bookshelf. So something for reading during the darkening autumn nights. I want to present several books at this this time, so the descriptions will be rather short. My intention is not to make full reviews, but just instead of that give some hints about books which are worth of look to inside.


Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs book series

Firstly an endless source of inspiration, a series of that I have mentioned before in this blog. In this series there are full pages of clothes and accessories of from the Sears Catalogues. This series contains at least the decades from 1930s to 1980s having three different sections for each (early-, mid- and late years).

***



Everyday Fashions of the (1909 - 1920, thirties, forties, fifties, sixties…)
As Pictured in Sears Catalogs book series

Collection of images from the Sears Catalogues. This series contains at least the decades from 1909 - 1920s to 1960s.

***

Then some books about purses…


Popular Purses: It’s in the Bag!
Leslie Pina
Donald-Brian Johnson
A Shiffer Book for Designers and Collectors With Price Guide

***


Plastic Handbags
Sculpture to Wear
Kate E. Dooner
A Shiffer Book for Designers and Collectors With Price Guide

Some my favourite manufactures of plastic handbags are featured in separate sections (Gilli Originals, Rialto, Wilardy Originals, Miami Hanbags and Patricia of Miami, Charles S. Kahn, Dorset-Rex and so on).

***

Then to the jewelries…


Warmant’s Jewelry Field Guide
Kathy Flood

***

20th Century Plastic Jewelry
Roseann Ettinger
A Shiffer Book With Price Guide

Hundreds of pictures of my favorite manufactures of costume jewelries (Coro, Trifari, Lisner, and so on).

***

20th Century Plastic Jewelry
Roseann Ettinger
A Shiffer Book With Price Guide

Plastic jewelries to die for!

***

Costume Jewellery
Judith Miller

***

The following book series I am missing few parts, because I’ve been patiently waiting for the Finnish language translation (I am not fully sure if they will be translated or not…).


Vintage Fashion
Zhanda Rhodes

***

Vintage käsilaukut (Vintage Handbags)
Marnie Fogg

***

Vintage kengät (Vintage Shoes)
Caroline Cox

***

Vinatage Weddings
Marnie Fogg

***

Vintage huonekalut (Vintage Furniture)
Fay Sweet

***


Moderni Chic Nainen
Sirkka Kopisto

This book presents Finnish women’s fashion from 1920s to 1960s. The book based on the collection of National Museum of Finland.

***


Dressing up Vintage
Tracy Tolkein

***


Muodin vuosikymmenet 1800-luvulta nykypäivään
N.J. Stevenson

***


Wearing Vintage
Catherine Bardey

***

Wearable Vintage Fashion
Jo Waterhouse
Clare Bridge


A nice book about how to create a vintage look using vintage and retro items.

***


Forties Fashion from siren suits to the new look
Jonathan Walford

***

And then a last book series at this time.


Style Me Vintage: (clothes, hair, make-up, weddings…) book series

A fresh and fun book series about how the create vintage outlook. I love the layouts of these books and funny looking listings such as “what you need to achive the 50′s look”.

***

3 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about the Sears catalogues' collections, but I think I absolutely have to get myself some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of books! I have the 1940s Sears Catalog book which is a lot of fun to go through. Great reference material.
    I just recently found your blog and I'm really enjoying your colorful outfit posts. :)
    -Emily

    Emily's Vintage Visions

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...